Monday, February 2, 2009

for memorizing

Our oldest daughter convicted me about Scripture Memorization. I know a fair amount of verses (in my own paraphrase) - but I don't always remember where exactly they can be found - or exactly what they say.

Last year we were memorizing Scripture as a family through a Scripture Memory program. I did really well sticking with it, but once we were through the initial book, we never went any further.

This year, I have decided to try and memorize the paraphrased verses (mentioned above) with their actual 'address'. I need to look up the verse about 'hiding the Word in my heart' (see, there is that paraphrase-stuff happening again!)

My first section of Scripture that I have memorized is Habakkuk 3: 17-19:

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
and the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
and there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.

The Lord is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer's feet,
and he will make me walk on my high hills.


Now, I plan on moving into the Psalms and memorizing the verses about being 'fearfully and wonderfully made'.

Do you have some favorite Scriptures? If so, I would love to know the ones you have committed to memory!

0 comments: